|Back to the Museum Website||Browse the Collection|
from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Philadelphia's extensive rapid transit system resembles Boston's in having several types of cars, each usable only on particular lines. Not only do clearances differ, but so do track gauges. The Market-Frankford subway-elevated is 5 ft 2 1/4 in., while the Broad Street subway and the interconnected Delaware Bridge line to Camden (and now Lindenwold) are 4 ft. 8 1/2 in. standard gauge. The Bridge line opened in 1936 with what was then the most modern of rapid transit equipment. Nos. 1018 and were part of this fleet, and were owned jointly by the autonomous Delaware River Joint Commission, rather than by any of the transit companies or agencies.
Built by Brill, these "Art Deco" cars were used for a time on the Broad Street subway after the Bridge line was extended and equipped with new technology cars for the PATCO system in 1968. The acronym is for Port Authority Transit Commission, a new public agency that now operates the high speed service between Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
The two 1936 cars were donated to the Museum by the City of Philadelphia and came to Seashore in 1984.
Manufacturer: J. G. Brill Co.
Item Type: Rapid Transit Car
Description: SEPTA Class B2 'Bridge' car
|Operation: Double-ended||Seats: 67|
|Trucks: 2 Commonwealth||Motors: 4 Westinghouse 555A1|
|Brakes: AMUE||Compressor: D-3-F|
|Length: 67' 6"||Width: 10' 4"||Height: 12' 4"||Weight: 114600 lbs.|